Comprehensive Editing and Proofreading for Children's Picture Books
Children’s books contain fewer words than adult books, making every word count. I will help you tell your story while capturing children’s interest and imagination. I will offer recommendations for ways to strengthen the plot, characters and language, and adjust the narrative if necessary, to be sure the illustrations match the words. I will help you identify your target audience and will work with you to make your message come through in an age-appropriate way.
I will do the following:
• Modify your manuscript to to make it understandable to your target age group
• Edit to correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and other mechanics
• Critique text, keeping in mind the way children process information
• Evaluate the main characters and dialogue
• Make sure your story has an identifiable beginning, middle and end
• Polish the language, giving the story more meaning through fewer words
• Offer constructive assistance with rhyming books
• Contact me to arrange a phone consultation, if desired.
Picture Book - Manuscript editing (up to 1000 words) $300
Early readers (up to 1500 words) $350
Many self-published books are printed before they are really ready. Many take hours and hours to edit. I offer a manuscript review service to help authors write a better book. I will read a manuscript at any point and offer suggestions about how to proceed. This is NOT editing. It's about identifying problems while still in the early phases of book production and doing the "fixes" before venturing further.
I will send you a written review and critique, offering in-depth suggestions (with examples) for any issues with characters, storyline, rhyming or general clarity. The cost for a review is $75. Both processes, whether you choose Editing or Review, include a copy of my book, “How to Create a Successful Children’s Picture Book.” My goal is to help you on your journey.
Manuscript Submission Process
1. Email your manuscript in a Word doc or Pages (for Mac) to: email@example.com. Also tell me about yourself (one
or two sentences) and what services you would like me to provide. Include a short description of the main theme ofyour
story and the message you wish the story to communicate. Also indicate the age/reading level of your target audience.
Any and all information you provide will be treated as strictly confidential. At no time will I ever share your
information with anyone or use it for my own benefit. The security of your information is of utmost importance.
2. You will receive an email from me confirming the receipt of your work. This email will also include an estimated timeline
for completion, along with the total cost for the project ($300). You will also receive an invoice through PayPal for one
half of the total payment ($150), due before I begin the editing process. PayPal allows you to pay by credit card or with
a PayPal account. The balance will be due prior to the delivery of your edited manuscript.
3. I will get to work.
Note: If your manuscript seems incomplete or, in my opinion, contains too many issues to warrant professional
editing at this point, I will offer a choice:
1. I will return your manuscript.
2. I will send you a written review and critique, offering in-depth suggestions (with examples) for any issues
with characters, storyline, rhyming or general clarity. The cost for a review is $75.
Both processes, whether you choose Editing or Review, include a copy of my book, “How to Create a Successful
Children’s Picture Book.” My goal is to help you on your journey.
4. When work is complete, I will invoice you for the second half of the editing fee. Upon receipt of your payment I will send
you your edited manuscript.
5. Contact me to arrange a phone conversation, if desired.
Comprehensive Book Editing/Consulting
If your goal is to produce a well-written children’s picture book, it's important to mesh the words and illustrations in just the right way. In addition to age-appropriate language, believable story lines, and characters with whom children can identify, the pictures and words must work together, as each tells half the story.
Once the corrections have been made to your manuscript, and your illustrations have been completed, you still may not be ready to print. STOP! If you want your book to compete in the growing world of children’s books, you may need a pair of experienced eyes to do the following:
• Evaluate the illustrations, making sure they work with, and contribute to, the story
• Make concrete suggestions for illustration “fixes” if needed
• Evaluate information and use of fonts on front and back book covers and spine
• Evaluate and review book components and information contained on copyright page and title page
• Make suggestions for overall improvement
• 30-minute phone consultation, free with purchase (within 2 weeks after editing completion)
Total Book Editing/Consulting - $250 (Reduced to $150 if combined with Manuscript Editing)
Total Book Submission process
The information is the same as above, however illustrations will need to be sent as pdfs. The entire book can be scanned or copied and sent as a “mock up” book if preferred.
Click here to ask Bobbie a question or schedule a book edit.
Former elementary teacher with a B.S. in Elementary Education and a Minor in Children’s Literature
Author/publisher of 5 children’s picture books that have received 28 children’s book awards and sold 51,000+ copies
Recipient of Moonbeam Children’s Book Awards Gold Medal for “Best Children’s Picture Book Series of 2017”
Author of “How to Create a Successful Children’s Picture Book,” released in 2017
Featured speaker at numerous major book festivals, bookstores and libraries across the United States and in Canada
Guest presenter at 250+ elementary schools
Published articles for Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) Magazine
Featured in Barnes & Noble Inside Magazine for hosting successful store events
Member of SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators), IBPA (Independent Book Publishers Association) and Florida Writers Association